Wednesday 31 October 2007

Happy Halloween?

Last night, the 30th of October, mind you, hubby & I were enjoying a pleasant dinner at the newly refurbished local bistro, when who should wander over to our table but 2 budding ASBOs (aka delinquents), girls of about 12, 13, with white face paint and wearing crude garbage bag 'costumes' over their clothes.

One of them came forward to our table and mumbled something about 'trick or treat' to me. I replied quite snappishly 'It's not Halloween, what are you doing here. And I don't have any candy anyway, as of course it's not Halloween.' She looked suprised that I even questioned her right to demand favours, in a RESTAURANT, the DAY BEFORE Halloween, but quickly recovered: 'Just give us some money'. Give us some money?? What?? That is NOT Halloween, and that is NOT trick-or-treating. And of course, I said 'No.' Again, I think somewhat to her suprise...

Luckily the manager came out shortly after, as the girls were making their way to the next table, and ushered them out. No doubt to hit up the next restaurant or pub, where no doubt many give in to their demands, muttering 'Halloween - stupid American holiday'.

And yet - that's not how *I* remember Halloween. Have I gotten to the stage of 'back in my day'? And I know it's been years since I celebrated Halloween in the US. So - US-based readers (of which I must have oh, 4 or 5) tell me: Is media coverage in the US dominated by more tricks than treats? Do you worry about being egged or mugged, rather than whether the candy will run out?

Or do you agree with this columnist, who believes Britain has put its own yobbish spin on Halloween, so please stop blaming the US of A. America may not be perfect, but let's take a little responsibility people...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halloween in the US is still the way it always has been. A chance to dress up, party, and eat lots & lots of candy! And, after Xmas, it is the second most "home-decoration" holiday. I have boxes & boxes of halloween decorations which I will gladly use once I can find them, and have a home large enough to showcase them. I absolutely LOVE halloween, and am sorry you had the bad experience. But, don't blame it on the US!

Kim said...

I don't know....people were walking the streets of NY dresses as ghoulish freaks as well as the traditional babies and Raggedy Anns. And in a twist worthy of ASBO youth, two 20-odd year olds were shot/stabbed in Union Square after the traditional Halloween parade. Overall I think people are still dressing up for the sheer fun (and of course the candy) but there is a dark side to many people disguised in a public place!

Kara-O said...

And, a security guard in Westchester was killed by 2 punks when he tried to stop them from egging his car. In fact, I seem to recall a certain "mom" suggesting kids would egg our house since we went out Wednesday night. That said, I do think Halloween is a generally benign holiday, and though decorations are in out in force weeks before the main event, no one dares to trick or treat before the 31st. I have to agree whole heartedly with the article (but it is more fun reading the comments).

Anonymous said...

What's ASBO?

You should have given the girls money, you old meanie.