Sunday 6 August 2006

(not) doing my civic duty

I'm embarrassed to admit that I saw a real, honest-to-goodness crime being committed yesterday... and did absolutely nothing about it. One of those situations where - before it ever happens to you - you might think "what would I do in this situation?" And I didn't do what I thought I would.

So, what happened? I had just started to cross Kew Bridge, when I heard the sound of glass breaking. I thought perhaps there'd been a car accident, and turned to look. And what I saw, was a man, reaching into a car, and grabbing a briefcase & something else, and then jumping on a bicycle to ride away. I just was just riveted watching this, probably took about 10 seconds, thinking "oh my god, what should I do? Call 999? Take a picture? I should do something." I was so in shock, that I didn't even realise a) I already had my phone in my hand, and b) I also had a camera in my bag.
In my alternate heroic reality, I fished out my camera in a flash, shouting 'oi, stop that', so he turned around, and I got a clear shot of his face; he dropped the briefcase, I called the police, they caught the guy, and all was right with the world.
In my real life reality, however, by the time I came to, the man had disappeared, and I thought about calling the police, but had no idea what help I'd be. I could barely remember what he looked like, and figured by the time the police arrived he would be far gone.

And so, I'm more than a little ashamed to say, I just headed on over the bridge. I mean, c'mon - I would've missed my train otherwise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We all find ourselves in a situation like that, and usually, unless we are perfect people, act in a way we are not proud of. Two weeks ago, I was walking down the street in Seattle, and I saw a young man stumbling as if he were really sick. He couldn't move well, and seemed to be in a haze. Maybe he was having diabetic problems, or maybe something drug-related, but he was really in BAD shape. I was going to call 911, but I had left my phone at home. But, instead of coming to his aid, and asking someone else to call, I realized I was late for my nail appointment, and said to myself "Someone will notice him and call for help." To this day I wonder. He was younger than Brian, and I hope someone did come along who thought someone's health (or maybe life) was more important than their nails.