Sunday 20 August 2006

Trains, waves, and underground

Had a very touristy (touristic? touristish?) Saturday, with Ashley's mum over at ours for a few nights - started by boarding the incredibly conveniently located boat at the Kew Pier behind our flat, for a trip down (up?) the Thames to Westminster. We managed to dodge most of the rain, and had a pleasant journey of about 80 mins - a little longer than it would've taken by other forms of public transport, but much more picturesque. I've certainly never seen Westminster and the London Eye from that view before!

After a quick lunch (during the heaviest of the rain, phew!), and a short stop to watch the tail end of a street performer's set, as he endeavoured to escape from a straight jacket (amazingly enough, he succeeded, in exactly 2 minutes, which was the time limit he set himself), we headed off to the Tate Britain, for the Constable exhibit. Ok, I must admit, landscape portraits aren't really my thing, but I found it interesting to view the life-size sketches he made first, side-by-side with the final paintings - to see how he changed the composition, etc., and how that really did affect the overall mood of the painting. However one thing I did *not* like was the mass of people there, as this was the last weekend of the exhibit. HOW many times do I have to remind myself *not* to go to major exhibitions, especially on a weekend, and even more especially on the last Saturday of the show. D'oh. I find myself feeling almost claustrophobic, and just rush through the show - whereas if there's few people there (like the time I saw the Vermeer exhibit in DC at about 2:30 on a weekday afternoon) I could spend hours...

Ah well - enjoyable afternoon anyway, including in the shop, where I bought a book called ...isms so I hope to educate myself on various art styles, from "Absolutism" to "Verism"... and - though I'm not sure why it was for sale in an art museum - I couldn't help buying the reproduction of Instructions for American Servicemen in Britain 1942, because remember: "It is always impolite to critisize your hosts; It is militarily stupid to critisize your allies"

And finally, after the museum, it was back on the Tube and on to Roast , a restaurant at Borough Market, for an early dinner. Yummy starters - a FANTASTIC 'soused' herring on a mustardy potato salad bed - but then a little less exciting from there. I should've just ordered more herring for my main! Still, great location, and well decorated interior, and serves me right for ordering from the bargain set menu - especially the vegetarian option in a place called 'Roast'. Next time we go (if we do) it'll be a juicy steak all the way...

Returned home by train from Waterloo (making it with about 20 seconds to spare) , thoroughly sated by art, food, and the various forms of public transport - so all told, a good day out!

*i have no idea what has happened to the photo option, btw - have tried to upload photos from the day 3 times, with no luck. So, will publish now, and possibly update later!

No comments: