Wednesday 30 August 2006

Magical mystery tour...

Belated post for this weekend - as many of you know, it was a 3-day weekend here in England, and Ashley whisked me away for a surprise holiday. Surprise in that I didn't know where we were going... I knew enough to pack a bag at least! And, amazingly enough, it remained a surpise location until we were almost there.

So - where was the mystery location? Morocco, in Zanzibar. Well, the Morocco room in the Zanzibar hotel, technically not exactly in Africa, but instead in the small seaside town of St Leonards-on-Sea. Which, true to its name, is on the sea side - the south coast, about a 3 hour drive from London.

The B&B was great, very different - I have to say I've never had such a friendly greeting... including Champagne on arrival, very nice. And Matt, the owner, was just great, recommending a place for dinner, and chatting about his plans for future work on the hotel - it's just getting started, really.

And by complete random coincidence, the Guardian that Saturday morning of our departure, reviewed a restaurant in that very town, and we were lucky enough to get one of the last table. St Clements was cozy & yummy & just right for a lengthy lunch before venturing out to explore St Leonards and nearby Hastings. (yes, 1066 and all that).

However, I think we saw the highlights of the area with the hotel & lunch. For although the Guardian article referred to a local "renaissance" - I think it's eeeeeaaaarly days at best. Umm - how would I sum it up? Sad. Faded, really. One of those classic old English seaside towns that hasn't moved on. And there must've been more take-away restaurants per capita than I've ever seen. Chinese after Chinese, with the odd "Kentassee Fried Chicken" thrown in. (Where's Kentassee? I have no idea. Somewhere less expensive than KFC-franchise-land).
And I suppose the rain that first day didn't exactly show it in the best light... still, we had fun, walking on the pier, buying candy, visiting the Fisherman's Museum (one of the town's most popular tourist attractions!), playing air hockey in the amusement park, as you do...
Still, as we didn't take in any rides, nor did I indulge in the famed jellied eels, I feel I've not properly 'done' Hastings...



Sleepy now, so that's all for this installment - tune in tomorrow for Sunday's adventures - can the intrepid duo venture beyond Hastings for the day?

No comments: