Saturday 1 July 2006

Sport-o-blog

Team sport news: Well, England is out of the World Cup. SO - with US, Australia, and England out, I'm having a hard time finding a team left to cheer for... I suppose I have a soft spot for Italy, having seen an Italy match in the actual country. But, then again, they *did* have quite a bloody match against the US... Will have to see which way my inner spectator pulls when I watch the next game...

Individual sports news: Go Andy Murray! And maybe one day I'll make it to Wimbledon and see a game in person - better enter that lottery now... And who didn't get teary seeing Andre Agassi bid farewell to Wimbledon & all the supporters who've cheered for him over the years. I remember going to the Pro Ebel Indoor Tournament in Philly in about 1989 I think, and thinking "who is this Agassi guy anyway? arrogant long-haired pin-up; these fans are only here because he's in Glamour magazine!" I guess I learned my lesson...

Personal sports news: Soooooo, I'm running in the British 10k tomorrow - my 3rd time in this race. Given
  1. I've done almost no training
  2. I twisted my ankle last month and am still not 100%
  3. It's supposed to be about 1000 degrees tomorrow and humid

I'm not expecting great results... but watch this space... I keep telling myself this is the kick off to bridal fitness. Only 10 months to go! Hmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, as an arrogant American who loses interest when her countrymen are out of it, Wimbledon is officially over, and the World Cup was over practically before it began. It would be interesting to see the US ratings on ESPN. As you all are well aware, it is not a big sport in the US after 7th grade.
Yes, it did break my heart to see Andre lose. I am personally responsible for it. When I turned it on, he was about to win the first set, and from that point on, he couldn't do anything right. Who knew, when he was a long-haired young bufoon. that he would turn out to be such a class act! Hopefully, he will do better at the US Open.
Roddick is gone, too, and also Venus Williams.
No one left to root for, I guess I'll just watch baseball.