Wednesday 3 September 2008

How many calories??

The Economist* has finally written about yet another New York law to help (?) consumers avoid obesity and associated public health ills. After banning trans-fats, this January saw the introduction of mandatory calorie counts on all menu items. And it works. When I was in New York last summer, I thought I'd treat myself to a muffin. Now, I've never been one to kid myself that a blueberry muffin would be a healthy item. But 522 calories?? 522???

Er, one biscotti, please.

*Yes, it does appear that the only media I consume is the Economist and NPR podcasts... note to self: must branch out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what's the calorie count on a biscotti?

Anonymous said...

I had a similar moment of revelation in Pret a Manger recently. I thought the bluberry muffin was teh healthy option but it weighs in more than the croissant with almond filling