Sunday 7 September 2008

'Bliss'-ful outing

The weather forecast today? Rain, with showers and a little precipitation. Same as it's been all week and it seems all summer. (frankly I'm not sure what those little yellow lines indicate -- I do not expect any sunshine!)
Activity today? Participation in the Adidas 5k Women's Challenge. Why oh why did they ever move this run from July to September?? (not that July guarantees sun any more than September does, but it just sounds sunnier). If it weren't for the facts that...

1) I've already collected sponsorship for this, for an excellent charity, Bliss (still time to donate, even after I've run!)

2) I'm committed to entering with a good friend -- and her 1-month old baby. If *she* can do this race in the rain pushing a baby in a pram, ONE MONTH after giving birth, I can certainly do it in the rain, carrying a baby in my insides (much easier, doesn't cry yet, nothing extra to push, no diaper bag needed)

3) This is the last race of the season, and I love road races, despite my decreasing speed. And given various travel conflicts and baby protection, I've only done one other race this summer, so I can't pass on this one.
4) And finally, I've been doing this race since it started in the summer of '98, so this is my 11th Women's Challenge (those silly women, you'd think they would've cracked it by now) -- so I can't let a little rain stop me now. Plus, if I walk this one it'll give me a time to shoot for next year.

...I might be tempted to stay home!

No comments: