Thursday 19 July 2007

Sunday Puzzle

How exciting: I've now solved TWO NPR Sunday Puzzles in a row... am I getting cleverer? Or are they just a little easier? (I think the latter...)

Still no call to London though -- I'll be by the phone today at 3pm EST just in case! (not sure why Thursday not Sunday however...)

A few hours left for this week's puzzle:
Take the two-word name of a well known city in Michigan, and its not Ann Arbor. Add the letter "E" to the first world and rearrange the letters, you'll name something people try to avoid. Add the letter "E" to the second world and rearrange the letters, you'll name something else people try to avoid. And here's a hint: Both words start with the same letter, and both words end with the same letter. What's the city and what are the words? [I just picture this like the anagrams on Jeopardy!, with the letters shifting around on the screen: POTS -- STOP... oooh! tough one!]


Can you solve last week's?:
Name two outdoor sports or games in seven letters. The first two letters of the first sports name are the same as the first two letters in the second sports name. And the last two letters of the first sports name are the same as the last two letters in the second sports name. Hint: The names do not end in "N-G." What sports or outdoor games are these? [hmm... they had over 2,000 entries, which is more than usual, so guess it *was* fairly easy...]

6 comments:

Kris said...

I got all excited at first, what with DANGER and DIAPERS, til I realized that they don't end with the same letter. Dammit.

Kris said...

Ah. Got it. I knew the city right away; an ex-boyfriend was from there. Which makes the two words pretty appropriate!

PlanetW said...

ooh - I like DIAPERS even better... certainly can be considered fearful in so many different ways!

I must confess -- I googled a list of Michigan cities for some help... but did the anagrams on my lonesome...

PlanetW said...

I mean - I like DIAPERS better, despite not fitting the clue entirely...

Anonymous said...

Also, the second word can be anagrammed to A Spider. Also appropriate, but it doesn't fit the rules. I figured out the city on my own, after searching for 2-word Michigan cities that begin and end with the same letter.

Anonymous said...

Haven't read your blog lately. Mom mentioned the puzzle at dinner last night. I solved it in my head. 'course it helps when some one says "yes" when one gets one word correct.