Thursday 5 July 2007

Best. Run. Ever

Last Sunday I took part in my, umm, I think 5th British 10k, along with 20,000 other runn-/walk-/jogg-ers. And for once, I was incredibly happy for the overcast, cloudy, unseasonably cool weather -- and even happy for the misty rain through the first 15 minutes or so.

The course is a fun one, mostly flat (bar the horrid k5 to k6 stretch, all uphill - blah), that takes in quite a few sites, including a long stretch along the river, and then crossing Westminster Bridge.

I say my best run ever, because - while about a minute slower than my best 10k time -- it was the best I have *ever* felt running. AND, I think I did my fastest 5k time at the halfway - at 29:52. AND, we kept running through the dreaded uphill stretch after that.

Other highlights included rounding Big Ben just as it chimed 11 - bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong, bong-g-g-g-g-g-g; hearing Chariots of Fire just as we turned the corner for the last 400m; still having enough energy to do a little sprint to the finish; and most of all, travelling the course with my British 10k partner-in-crime, Verity. This is our 2nd attempt together -- next year we'll break an hour, for sure!

For pictures of the happy rainy day -- click here. If it doesn't work, my race number was 14913.

No comments: