Thursday 28 September 2006

Quiz champions

Last Saturday was momentous not only for the run, but also for a brilliant success at the Stonor Cricket Club quiz night. Ok, perhaps I should've built the tension a little more, but it was just so exciting to win, I couldn't keep it in for another 2 - 3 paragraphs.

The tension on the night was a lot more real, however - as we came from behind in the last round to beat - by 1 point!! - the single team from the rival club. Phew! Especially because that meant that my mortifying mistake in a cricket-related question didn't put us out of contention. (what happened? as the scribe for our 6-person team, I was responsible for filling out the answer sheets, obviously with team input. And for the cricket-related questions, I clearly know NOTHING, so was writing whatever I was told. So how I ended up writing 'Keith Gillespie' [the incorrect answer] instead of 'Jason Gillespie' [the correct answer] I will never know. Did I learn nothing from all of those years of watching Jeopardy!? Answer last names only, don't mess around with the first unless specifically asked! All I do know is if we lost by 1 point, my team would have killed me.)

Luckily however, my team (including Ashley, and friends Olly & Lee, and Duncan & Sabine) worked very well together and we were able to answer such diverse questions as:
  • Who directed the documentary 'When the Levees Broke', about Hurricane Katrina?
  • Which writer was recently exposed as having been a member of the Nazi party?
  • Is Barry Bonds a Giant, a Padre, or a Dodger [ok, we had a bit of an advantage here!]
  • What Siberian Lake holds 20% of the earth's fresh water?
Oh, and a bunch of other cricket-related questions, which fortunately I managed to write down correctly.

So, yay us, and we already look forward to being back next year to defend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what do you win? Or is it just for the glory?

Anonymous said...

dad said... Been reading the blog for some time, but this is a first time post. Just a thought, the Jeopardy experience also fits in real life situations. Never supply more information than is requested. Keep the lips zipped. By the way who was a Nazi?

PlanetW said...

Well, in addition to the glory (clearly the best part) we won a bottle of wine each, so not a bad result. And the answers to the questions listed, to those interested are: (scroll down)





Spike Lee directed When the Levees Broke
Gunther Grass was recently exposed
Barry Bonds is, of course, a Giant
And it's Lake Baikal in Siberia!