Saturday 26 June 2010

USA! USA! USA!

Bzzzzzz! "Delivery!"

Two minutes and an ID-checked signature later, I held in my hands proof that my daughter is now a dual-national.

It only took us 18 months, but we finally got around to taking care of the paperwork AND the both-parents+child "interview" at the Embassy. After filling out multiple forms, including the one where I, as the American parent, had to list all the dates SINCE BIRTH I've physically been in the US. The first years, not so hard, but the last 13 since coming to the UK... well, let's just say I'm glad they didn't compare against plane records or anything like that. I'm sure I got some dates off somewhere!

The 'interview' itself was more of a 'let's see what's in the waiting room', as we were sent from one window to the next in a neatly choreographed make-work exercise...

"Ticket number P08 -- Window 4!" -- ooh, that's us!
"Ok, it looks like you have all your paperwork, and the photos too. I'm going to give this to my colleague to review; you'll be called again."
Wait, wait, wait... thank goodness for the kiddie-sized table, Paige loves rearranging furniture
"Ticket number P08 -- Window 6!" -- us again! 
"Your forms look complete, just sign here. And please pay $65 at window 10 for your Consular Report of Birth, and £14.50 downstairs for your passport-return envelope, and wait to be called again."
Window 10, Amex accepted, receipt in hand... Downstairs, luckily we have enough cash, receipt and envelope in hand, back upstairs.
Wait, wait, wait... thank goodness for the vending machine
"Ticket number P08 -- Window 8!" -- us... again...

And now it was time to talk to the Americans for the actual "interview". Why do I always get nervous when talking to authority figures, smile even more than usual, when I'm not doing anything wrong?

Um, why did we wait so long to get her her American passport. Erm, well, um...

The truth is, we just couldn't be bothered with taking time off work and trekking into central London with a baby, and the rules say you have until her 5th birthday, so what's it to you, Mr Embassy Man?  Hmm... maybe not the most politic of answers.

"Scheduling difficulties," we say instead.

And then, after answering a few questions about the names of my elementary and high schools (guess only a real honest-to-goodness American would be able to answer that!) and another trip to Window 10 ($85 this time, for the passport), and back AGAIN to Window 8 (no waiting this time)... and our 90-minute Embassy adventure was complete!

No comments: