Thursday 3 June 2010

Race report - mark 2

Another weekend, another race. This time the Bupa 10,000 from Buckingham Palace through the City and back, taking in some of the 2012 marathon course. The day started off overcast and a bit chilly -- so not bad for a race, really. Certainly better than 80 degree sunshine would've been.

And this time I had a couple of supporters with me in the forms of Ashley and Paige, so my spirit was warmed at least (ugh - did I really say that?) We made our way via tube to Green Park, noting the many similarly-running-garbed travellers, many carrying the official BUPA 10,000 bag, and wearing the official timing chip all ready to go.

The run was incredibly well organised, and we had no trouble finding the start, and I reluctantly left my bag-carriers and headed to my wave. I say reluctantly, because leaving them also meant leaving my windbreaker. I knew that was for the best, but brrr... until the start!

Which took much longer than I'd expected.  I knew I was in the 7th wave (of 9) -- but I didn't realise they'd *each* be starting 2 minutes apart. And that was after the elite wave -- so all in all I was probably hanging around in the start area, jacketless and a bit shivery, for about 35 minutes. It was a real relief when our wave final started!

And off we went. My goal was to beat 60 minutes, but wondered if that would be possible (even with last week's 28:08 for the 5k) because a)I've been fighting a cold all week and b)I've not run more than about 3 miles in ages.

So I was incredibly pleased an amazed that as I crossed each km marker, my watch continued to stay under 6 minutes for each, until I crossed the 5k line at 28 exactly! I did have to slow down a bit between kilometers 7 - 8, but still, when I passed the 9km mark at about 51:00, I was preeeetty confident sub-60 was achievable.

But still -- 57:15?? I couldn't believe my watch! But the timing chip pretty much agreed with it, at a slightly faster 57:10, so guess my eyes and watch were in fact correct.

Unfortunately the crowd was such that my supporters weren't able to fight their way through to see me finish... but that was ok. After the seemingly interminable walk back to the official 'if-we're-not-at-the-finish-here's-where-we'll-be' meeting spot, I was still able to show off my watch, and the celebration was almost as great. Not sure Paige quite appreciated the result, but she was so cute it didn't matter.

Now for my next challenge... hmm...

2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, Stef...You're my get-in-shape inspiration. Need to wipe the dust off my bike and running shoes (those are "trainers," in case you forgot the vernacular :-))

PlanetW said...

Thanks Jess... though now that my external fund-raising challenge is over, it's going to be harder to motivate myself to pull on my trainers or even running shoes...