Sunday 26 July 2009

Burn baby burn...

Huh. Turns out there's no law against bonfires in Richmond, no matter how residential your area may be.

Why do I know this? Yesterday was a lovely sunny day, so we had most of the windows in the flat open. About 2:30, I noticed a burning smell -- which we first thought was the regular weekend barbecue in the pub next door. But I quickly realised it was a much stronger, less meaty smell... and that's when I noticed the smoke - and lots of it. And realised the smell had completely filled our little flat, of course Paige's room most of all.

Turns our our other side neighbour was having a little bonfire. Full of righteous indignation (is there any other kind?) I thought 'This cannot possibly be legal!', at the same time wondering if I would have the nerve to call any sort of nuisance patrol, and risk neighbourly tension.

But turns out, though the firestarted did not 'give neighbours advance notice' as required, I don't think I'd have a case.

Fortunately it stopped early enough for me to open the windows again and air the place out before bed.

Funny thing is - I actually quite like bonfires... but my preference for them is on a crisp Autumn evening, out in the countryside somewhere -- not invading my flat! Then again, I do keep telling Ashley we don't really live in London -- and here's the proof.

No comments: