Monday 24 November 2008

Stitchery Show

After an incredibly busy couple of weeks, it was great to be able to take off Friday and make my semi-annual pilgrimage to the Twisted Thread Knitting and Stitching Show. And to shake things up a bit, I decided to go all the way to Harrogate for this autumn's show (well, because I missed the recent London one, thanks to our lovely trip to Portugal).

While I'm not sure I'd make the 8+ hour round trip again just for the show, I will say it was a pretty good one. It seemed to have a much broader spread of needle crafts than the London shows -- though still had my favourite, Michael Powell and others I like, including Nutmeg (those 3d kits are tricky, but look fantastic).

To give my feet a rest, I also took in a workshop -- and now have a slightly better idea of how to do a patchwork quilt, however 1 hour was not *quite* enough to finish a project, even the small one the teacher started us off with. I must must must complete it at home soon - or risk a) forgetting how and b) adding yet another item to my unfinished projects file!

The most impressive part of the show -- like every year -- was the textile art exhibition -- so so so inspirational. Where do they get their ideas?!

My favourites this year? Roy and Barbara Hirst retrospective -- who do absolutely amazing stump work (also called, I learned, raised embroidery). Unfortunately I didn't have my cameras, so no photos. So meticulous.

I also enjoyed a more modern artist, Claire Moynihan, and her witty 'Moth Balls'. I don't know why, but they just grabbed my attention. Clever, beautiful, intricate -- just the sort of thing I'd love to come up with one day... when of course I begin my new career as an international textile artist. Hmm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of these days, I'll join you at a show!

Anonymous said...

Did you stop off at Betty's tea shop? It's so funny to hear stitchery shows written up by an enthusiast. As a rookie fashion journalist on a trade magazine I was once dispatched to Birmingham to write a 1000 word report on a needlework show and when I got there, with no idea where to start, I sat down in the middle of the exhibition and burst into tears. But you make it sound like fun!