Sunday 1 June 2008

Fairy Tale Friday

So, I saw Sex and the City (the movie) Friday night and it was... just as I expected. Frothy, fun, frocks, and, er, feisty female friends... you get my drift. But I can't decide if I really liked it or not. Well, I laughed at the appropriate places, and oohed & ahhed over the amaaaazing apartment, and even got a little teary at the more emotional moments. So I guess I liked it. And, going with a group of 8 other women, dressed in our NYC finest (while a bit cliche, considering the other 80% of the audience doing the same thing) was enjoyable -- always a good night if I get to wear a favourite dress.

But was it any good? More undecided over that. I think Cynthia Nixon is by far the best actress of the 4 (perhaps having the most realistic story line helped). So well done her. But if it was trying to be more than a feel good fantasy, (which, by reading any of the nine million interviews with SJP that have been written, appears to have been their aim) I'm not sure they succeeded. The movie is a fairy tale, pure and simple.

And there's nothing wrong with that -- just don't attempt to be otherwise. I'm still not sure the point of having Carrie reading Cinderella to Charlotte's little girl Lily, and -- after quoting 'And they lived happily ever after' -- telling her oh-so-wisely, "Things don't always work out that way Lily -- you should know that sooner rather than later."

But if you watch this movie, the message is actually, things do work out that way. Down to the princess and her form-fitting slipper (Manolo, not glass in this case, but does the same trick).

So I say, SatC: TM -- embrace your fun and fantasy and friendship, and be happy to have crowds of women cheering along across the country and around the world. We can all use a fairy tale now and then. Just don't make it out to be any more than that.

No comments: