Sunday 18 May 2008

Sunday evening again

And time for my normal refrain -- where *has* the weekend gone?!

I can tell you where some of it went -- my monthly V&A afternoon. After talking about it for yeeeears, I've finally started volunteering at my favourite London museum. It's not the most taxing of jobs, sitting there as I do at the membership desk. Mostly a lot of 'Bathroom? Just down those stairs.' and 'You can get back to the Tube a couple of ways...' But I do sign up a few new members each time, and I enjoy chatting to the visitors who stop by (perhaps a little too much. I'm sure the visitor from St Petersburg, FL, today simply wanted to know if the central hall chandelier was a Chihuly, not a discourse on the glassblower's recent UK exhibits, but hey - she started it).

And I especially enjoy getting there a little before my shift to check out the latest exhibitions, even if I only get a quick glimpse. And today was particularly fun -- a visit to the newly opened Story of the Supremes exhibit, courtesy of the Mary Wells collection. Unlike the recent Couture exhibit, which was vast, but mostly dress after dress, with relatively little context, the Supremes show packs in not only a variety of stage outfits from various incarnations of the group but also a plethora of contextual background panels, covering Motown, the civil rights movement, growth of girl groups, general Americana... phew! A bit much to take in in my whirlwind 20 minutes -- I was mostly looking at the sequins -- but I look forward to going back.

I also restrained myself in the gift shop, though I quite liked the Love Child t-shirt for some reason. And I realised my CD collection is remarkably -- and sadly -- bereft of any classic girl-group sound, but held off addressing that lack with the Best of Supremes double album. One item that did make me laugh, however, was the serving bowl, made from a real live gen-yoo-ine LP record (don't see many of those any more). The laugh came from the price -- £25!! Man, I gotta get me some of that action. I remembered reading about how easy these are to make on Web-Goddess, (who herself credits Get Crafty) -- and now I see them for sale for £25??!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a bummer that it's only there until October. I would love to see it! But, congrats on the new "job."