Wednesday 1 August 2007

Match report

First of all – a pinch and a punch for the first of the month! (er, at least that’s what Ashley says his gran used to say...)

In all of my ramblings about the busy weekend just past, I completely forgot to give the exciting match report from the weekend prior!

Yes – the time this season has rolled around again to Ashley’s stint as Stonor Cricket Club Match Manager. When we arrived at the lovely pitch Sunday afternoon, it was overcast and chilly (brr...) but we were in luck, the sun actually peeked out a bit, and I even took off my cardigan and stopped saying “I’m coooooolllllddd” for a change.

As for the match itself – well, first Stonor was up to bat, and they did that for a while, and some runs were scored, and some people got out, yada yada yada.

And then the other team was up, and Ashley bowled brilliantly, but unfortunately they batted even more brilliantly, and the end result was not in Stonor’s favour.

But enough about the match itself – if you want details about that you can check the website...
More important was what happened between the innings – my chance to shine at the Cricket Tea. Yes, because it’s all about me. I’m quite competitive when it comes to my yearly tea, doncha know.


Despite the pressure of expectation – given last year’s well received inaugural tea – I think I ably acquitted myself, with a spread including cheese biscuits, oatmeal-chocolate chip-dried cranberry cookies, and the crowning glory, mini-chocolate muffins, as you can see below. Combined with some hearty sandwiches and earthy tea, the treats made for a well enjoyed (if I say so myself!) break.

And once again I am amazed at a sport that has a snack break half-way through... but happy to supply said snack when called upon!

Now... what to do for next year???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, thanks to those good old American chocolate chips!
As for a sport that has snacks halfway through, don't you remember the orange slices at Kara & Brian's soccer (that's football to you Brits) matches?

PlanetW said...

of course I remember -- but I'm talking about grown men. And even the professional cricketeers break for tea!