Wednesday 14 February 2007

Ooh – lookie – I’ve added a new Resolution Watch widget to the sidebar – a visual reminder of how well I’m doing against my 3 Rs -- reading, recipes, and running. Oh - and 1C - culture.

I’ve added another ‘been-meaning-to-read-for-ages’ book to the list – The Kite Runner – and yes, Dad, I agree it was magnificent. A distinctive voice painting such a clear picture – I couldn’t put it down.

I have fallen at one hurdle, however – the vow not to buy any more books until I read the ones I already own… because after The Kite Runner came What Came Before He Shot Her – the latest by Elizabeth George. Another unputdownable read – though of course in a different way. I’ve read all of her Inspector Lynley books, and this was a bit of a departure for her – rather than being a fairly classic modern English detective novel, this looked at the societal factors in play that lead to a 12 year-old boy being arrested for murder.

Now – onto the next – chosen from my shelves this time, no more return to Amazon! User vote:
--(fiction) The Time Travellers Wife
--(nonfiction) The Man Who Ate Everything (food writer essays from Vogue)

Vote early, and vote often!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I am the one who recommended The Time Traveler's Wife, I vote for that. Just remember who recommended it when it is time for praise. Just for the record, it was I who recommended Kite Runner, not Dad. He only read it because I recommended it to him. I do win the award for the most use of "recommended" in one paragraph!

PlanetW said...

Sorry mom - should give credit where due, so thanks for the Kite Runner!

As for TTTW -- my husband-to-be reminded me that we had agreed we'd both read it on honeymoon - so I'll have to wait on that one... though not long now.