Monday 9 October 2006

How many of these have you read?

The New York Times not-so-recently did a survey of top writers and other leading literary figures to find the "best work of American fiction in the past 25 years"

I'm very ashamed to find I've read a whopping 1 on the list (The Plot Against America)... must up my reading worthiness from Heat and Grazia magazines! At least I fared slightly better on the much-more-recent Observer look at the UK / Commonwealth equivalent. I think I've read about 3 or 4 of them. But on the other hand, the Observer's list of 'honourable mentions' is much longer than the NYT's... And at least I'm in a bookclub now - that's got to count for something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I beat you on the NYT list, but that is because I have a fondness for Philip Roth. I would have to add Cavelier and Clay to the list also- one of my favorites. As for the UK list- not so good- only 2 or 3. I think Jess would trump both of us on both lists, though.