Monday 18 June 2007

Refugee Week

Thanks to TimeOut, I learned that this week is Refugee Week. And also thanks to TimeOut, I learned of a small friendly museum, tucked away in the East End -- dedicated to these refugees and immigrants to London. And so, thanks to TimeOut, I saw a little piece of London history I never even had an idea existed. (and no, I don't sell TimeOut, but at least glad I read it this week! ;-)

19 Princelet Street is a classic symbol of the various immigrant communities that have made London home at one time or another. Originally home to a Huguenot weaver, it then was converted into a synogogue in 1869. Sadly over time, as the Jewish community moved out of the East End, the house fell into disrepair. About 10 years ago (not that I can find the exact date), a trio of philanthropists / activists decided to attempt to preserve the house, as the Museum of Immigration.

It's still badly in need of funds -- and hugely deserving of them as well. The current exhibit -- Suitcases and Sanctuary -- is incredibly well done, having been created with local school children, as they learn about the immigrant history of the neighbourhood. Given the funding needs, the museum is only open a few days a year -- Refugee Week being the big push -- so we were lucky to get the opportunity to see it.

Unfortunately you're not allowed to take photographs inside, but I did buy some postcards! I was amazed by the memorial notices still visible inside of the synogogue -- complete with notations of how much of a donation their loved ones had given in their memory!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stef- have you seen the movie Dirty Pretty Things? It is set in London among a immigrant/refugee crowd. It is part character study and part caper. Jess and I thought it was great.

PlanetW said...

I haven't seen it, though have heard of it of course - so many movies, so little time! (and thanks for posting btw ;-)

mimi pompom said...

I hadn't even heard of this museum despite living in London for 18 years. Very evocative title 'suitcases and sanctuary'. Well spotted and thanks for the tip-off.

mimi pompom said...

PS: love the resolution watch. They say if you write things down you have a much better chance of doing them. Writing them down on a blog, is probably an even better idea. Notes on A Scandal is definitely worth reading. I have also just read Melissa Bank, Wonder Spot, which is brilliant; and Zadie Smith 'On Beauty' which is beyond tedious. Nothing happens for 200 pages.