Wednesday 26 May 2010

Race report

Saturday dawned bright and sunny, a great day for a 5k. So, what great timing that I actually had a 5k to run that day! I was supposed to run with a friend, but she, er, never got around to registering, so off I trooped to Regent's Park on my lonesome. One train, one tube, and several minutes of walking later I arrived at the gathering point for that Saturday's Race for Life -- one of many being held across the country this (and every) summer for Cancer Research UK.

The area was a sea of pink, with most participants in the official (for purchase) t-shirt. I bucked the trend in my old green tee, but that's the kind of maverick I am. You betcha.

I also for once decided to push my way relatively close to the start line -- as part of the 'runners' group (instead of 'joggers' or 'walkers'). And smart decision it turned out to be, with a total of 5000 entrants (hey - 5k for a 5k!). I've been in enough races like these to know many entrants have no idea of their pace and start much further forward than they should -- the very participants I needed to avoid to get a good time.

My goal was simple -- crack 30 minutes, so 6 minutes / km. I didn't think I went out all that quickly, so I was amazed to see a time of 5:11 for my first one. And though I slowed down a bit after that initial stretch, I never dipped slower than that crucial 6 minutes (despite even spending nearly 500m between 1 and 2 sorting out my annoying failed iPod, but that's a rant for another day). I even put in a little kick near the end when I thought I might break 28:00.

Well, the kick wasn't quite enough -- but I was more than a little pleased with what I think must be my personal best 5k time of 28:08. Now let's see how my fitness holds for my 10k this Monday!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

How could someone not get around to registering??? Must be some friend!